Monday 16 January 2017

Bastien Pinefall III: The Journey


When I came to I found myself propped upright in in my chambers, with a cold wet cloth on my head to alleviate the pounding. As my blurred vision gradually gave way to clarity I found the Abbott sitting patiently by my bedside.

He offered my a cup of water and spoke softly and kindly. "You were unable to stop them. It seems there was a third, who managed to knock you out whilst you were distracted. You are lucky to be alive, Bastien, but we are all glad you are.

"Others were not so fortunate. They murdered two guards and made off with something most precious to us. If not for you, Bastien, I would have assumed the thieves to be opportunists, simply stealing whichever relic they could lay their hands on but you have shown us otherwise."

I took a pensive sip of water and still dazed but also now confused replied "I don't understand. If they escaped how do you know any of this?"

"You provided us with a clue", the Abbott answered with a thin, wry smile and opened his hand to reveal a shred of black cloth, embroidered with the emblem of a skull and a scythe. "It seems a cabal of Nerull's worshippers targeted us specifically. They stole the Shoes, Bastien"

"The shoes?" I countered, "But why? They have no real worth!"

The Abbott was quiet for while, and it felt his steely gaze penetrated to my very core. Eventually he nodded, more to himself than to me, and stood. "They are no mere trinkets, Bastien. They are the genuine Shoes of Fharlanghn, promised to our care many years ago. We can only hope that the cultists stole the shoes merely to cause chaos. If they knew what power they now held, well... " he let the thought hang in the air.

The Abbott became stern as he left my room. "Either way, Bastien, they cannot be allowed to keep them. Your injuries are not serious. Take today to recover, but tomorrow you must venture forth to find these miscreants and bring the Shoes home."

The next day I rose early to find my armour and a pack already prepared, and a horse saddled for me. Not knowing when I would return I took one last look at my home, pocketed the torn symbol of Nerull - my only clue -  then mounted my steed and cantered out of the priory...

3 comments:

  1. Shoe far shoe good.

    Intriguing. I expect there is more to come.

    PS - the spell. What was it? Bull's Strength maybe? But that is a 2nd level spell. So Bastien in this story is already 3rd level ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing more to come I'm afraid. And yes, already level three. He's not been on the road long.

    ReplyDelete