Monday 16 January 2017

Bastien Pinefall II: The Theft

I awoke with a shiver. It was Autumn and the nights growing chill, true, but this was something else. Feeling uneasy I donned my robes, heading down the cold stone stairs and left the barracks intending to walk off my unease.

The air was cool and refreshing and with nary a cloud in the sky I could see the outlines of buildings silhouetted against the moon and stars. The horses nickered softly in the stables and all was quiet... My chills receded and I planned to return to my cot.

But as I returned past the church itself I noticed the door was open and decided to investigate. As I approached my ears caught the unmistakable sound of steel on steel followed by a scream - abruptly cut off - and two figures emerged furtively, one carrying a box. Fresh as I was from I walk I immediately recognised the pair for thieves, sounded the alarm as loudly as I could, and ran towards them. 

The one carrying the box turned on his heels while his companion stood ready to face me the glint in his smile reflecting that of his knife as he realised I carried no weapon. He came at me quickly but clumsily. Had I been armed he would have been no match, but as it was he had the advantage in attack.

I, however, had the advantage of experience and training and was able to avoid his blows until I could see he was tiring from the effort. I disengaged and uttered a spell under my breath to increase my strength. Feeling my God's strength surge within I was able to knock the dagger from his grasp and gaining a solid grip on the thief's clothing lifted him easily above my head.

As I threw the figure to the floor I felt his jerkin tear in my hands, but then the crashing sound of thunder, a blinding pain, and everything went black.


1 comment: