Sunday 12 April 2020

The Greatest Campaign of my Life

I started this game as an excuse to entertain David and repay a debt of gratitude to Assif and Scott but it was much more successful than I expected.
I knew it'd be a laugh as I really liked everyone in the group but I didn't think I'd get quite so invested.
True, I put time and thought into the adventure ideas but that in itself isn't enough.
Unlike all our previous campaigns, we were able to begin, explore and (despite it only occurring over six weekend sessions) complete an entire story arc.
Me being the constant DM was a factor in that but ultimately it was down to you.
As players, you bought into the scenarios and ran with them. You never made it difficult for me or tried to derail the story and your three characters were brilliant and obvious reflections of certain aspects of your own personalities.
David's; Nitendae was proof positive that he's my cousin. Not quite the same as my 'always-play-a-cowardly-Ranger' but oh so close enough.
Assif's classic 'kick-in-the-door, never-ask-questions, murder hobo'; Volkon was joy to behold. He was always going to be about the size of his weapon and the massive damage he could inflict.
Scott played it smart. Very smart. After the fun but ineffectual monk Chen, he instead picked the games (arguably) strongest class, gave him game changing domain powers and wrapped him in as much magical armour as possible. Bastien also became the character the plot revolved around.
I really felt the bond between the three characters grow. Self-interest, naked aggression and power-gaming aside, Nitendae, Volkon and Bastien seemed like genuine friends.

If I could sum them up by single individual and reoccurring round actions...

Nitendae: 'Invisibly, I levitate up twenty feet and delay my action.'

Volkon: 'With my two-handed flaming sword of fire, I charge forward and attack!'

Bastien: 'Without warning or their consent, I grab Nitendae and Volkon's shoulders and teleport.'

D&D's a weird game but (my normally terrible recall aside) this campaign has given me a whole raft of brilliant memories. Both in-game and out.

Thanks guys!


5 comments:

  1. I'm not crying, there is just a bit of dust in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep behind every great barbarian and worthy cleric, there's a Nitendae :)
    It was truly a memorable experience; enjoyed spending time again with Assif and great meeting, all too briefly, Scott.
    Cheers Kirk for hosting it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was all very lovely.
    Great company - and likewise David, an absolute pleasure.
    Great location - the cottage of doom is a great bolt hole from the trappings of the modern world
    Great campaign - episodic, but with an ongoing storyline to drive things forwards

    I always very much looked forward to those weekends away, and will miss them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all, every one.
    David it was a joy being able to spend time with you again and relive our childhood. Scott, I think our shared time in your speed machine made us closer friends than I realised and it's going to be difficult to think that we won't be risking the wall of death again. And of course Kirk, the effort you put in to keep your friends close to you has meant that I have had many of my very favourite memories in your company.

    This chapter may be closed, but the book of Fissa has many unwritten pages ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The drive... Or really just the last five minutes before arriving and the first five minutes after leaving... I won't miss too much!

    ReplyDelete