Thursday 12 October 2017

Lesser Beholder vs A Bunch of Cheats


One of my favourite moments of our last game was watching the three of you panic at the thought of facing the Beholder of ‘Coffin Drop’.

(Coffin Drop… LOL!)

I’d only included it because Assif, in an optomistic moment, had mentioned that he fancied battling one.

Still, after including a reference to it on the second module cover, I actually read up on them.


They are properly terrifying!

A monster, it seems, designed for TPWs (Total Party Wipes). Unfortunately I felt committed to its inclusion.

Then I noticed the poor Gauth.

Looks like a Beholder but with only a quarter of the calories.

Perfect!

Just before the second assault, I wandered off to make some tea, while you all considered your plan of action.

I returned, with loaded tray, ten minutes later to catch you all intently reading through the Beholder entry in the Monster Manual.

You’d spotted what I had and meta-gamingly guessed my unwillingness to use the proper Big-bad.

I should have punished you for your cheekiness but your plan was really good and ultimately successful.

Frankly, I’d expected you all to have looked up the Beholder, and therefore Gauth, on-line before the weekend.

Also, I was really relieved that you survived unscathed. Especially after the previous Ogre Zombie fiasco.

4 comments:

  1. A Beholder at level six? Never!
    Full on metagame in action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually loved that bit of metagaming. Felt like we were playing a game rather than roleplay. So it tapped into the board gamer side of me.
    Also it was brilliant because it was both an obstacle and a monster so planning for hours is just how we approach these things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually loved that bit of metagaming. Felt like we were playing a game rather than roleplay. So it tapped into the board gamer side of me.
    Also it was brilliant because it was both an obstacle and a monster so planning for hours is just how we approach these things :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true. In the first adventure, I was really thrown by your collective reaction to the broken (but jumpable) staircase.
    "We return to town, hire some carpenters and have them build a bridge."
    :D

    ReplyDelete