Thursday 7 September 2017

I Ain’t Got Nobody…


On the journey back to Nonpariel, despite Bastien’s moral objections, Isaack takes the opportunity to plead, wheedle and beg…

“You see back there, if I’d had a body, I could have acted as a field medic and healed the dying. I always know who’s the closest to death anyway. All I’d need is a supply of healing drafts and I could carry a million of them!”

Isaack takes Bastien’s unimpressed expression as a cue to continue…

“I could also have thrown Volkon a rope when he was stuck in that pit!”

“Both times!”

“And in addition to shouting a warning when those dirty thieves tried to steal me, I could have actually stopped them myself!”

“With a couple of hands, I could carry even more than I do now!”

“Considering my magical ability to find things, I could run and fetch whatever you need, whenever you need it. Like me, Skeletons don’t need to sleep and they can see in the dark so… Day or night; no problem.”

“I could carry the torches… Hell, you could cast ‘Constant flame’ on my skull head. It’d look AWESOME!”

“If you gave me just a measly skeleton, I could armour and arm myself from stuff I already have and be a real asset to you. Not only could I fight and flank but I could fight suicidally!… As long as you promise to fetch me after my body’s destroyed.”

“And… and as I don’t need to sleep… If I had legs to stand on… I could actually stand guard… All night… EVERY NIGHT!”

Bastien nods in agreement to all of Isaacks arguments but still refuses. Necromancy is inherently evil and the very thought of it makes him shudder in revulsion.

If anything, Isaack’s arguments have strengthened his belief that evil must be driven back.

Sensing his chance waning, the immobile but quick-witted backpack tries the last tactic available to him…

“PLEEEEEEEEEASE!”

No comments:

Post a Comment