Sunday 3 September 2017

"DING"!

The long journey back to Nompariel has given me time to further hone my skills and do some soul searching. Now that I am back to the safety of civilisation I can take the time to describe this in my journal.

The strange and mysterious forces behind for the reprehensible attack on my own parish now threaten all that is good. Fharlanghn teaches us that the journey is all-important and the direction that my own journey is to take is now clearer than ever.

But it is also clear that I cannot take anything for granted. My brush with death has taught me that much at least, and I must endeavour to never find myself in such a situation again. Certain fortifying powers are gifted to me by my deity, and so I have chosen to focus my attention more... assertively.

With the aid of my magical shield I feel more confident to over-extend, take the initiative, and I have been practising new stances, formations and movements that take full advantage of this. My new magical weapon feels lighter in my hands and I have found a manoeuvre that allows me to press my attack when I down a foe. Bastien's sixth level feat is Cleave.

Turning to more philosophical matters I have given much thought to Isaak's request to animate a skeleton to bear his weight. His pleas for such a thing have not fallen on deaf ears. His arguments are compelling, and I cannot deny his logic that an extra pair of hands would be useful on my quest. Furthermore, I cannot stand by and let one who shows such devotion to the journey stagnate. It is not his fault that he has been bestowed with the hunger to travel, but not the means to do so.

With that said, the notion of animating the dead and allowing such foul monstrosities to walk this earth is abhorrent to me and I will not be party to such a plan. Bastien's alignment has changed to Neutral Good.

I have spoken with Isaak, with whom I have struck an unexpected friendship. Whilst he is not happy with my decision, he is intelligent enough to understand and I have sworn to find another solution that will give him the freedom he craves. He has told me extraordinary tales of creatures known as 'go-lems' who he claims are willing servants who follow commands with devotion and without question.

He also claims that one may build such creatures from raw materials! If such a thing is truly possible I will do everything within my power to make it so.

5 comments:

  1. Nice post Scott, gives Bastien a 'fuller' feel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post except...
    As I was looking through the first adventures treasure list, i noticed Bastien's armour...
    Full plate mail...
    +1...
    ...
    Of Fortification!
    ...
    Light...
    ...
    (That means it had a 25% chance of ignoring a critical hit!)
    ...
    One in four that Bastien didn't actually die!!!
    :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say what?! Noooooo!
    Totally my fault for not remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the horror! How did we miss that? I absolutely insist Bastien is restored the lost XP! At least you should roll a couple of d4s ...
    Nice story on Bastien by the way. I will attempt to do something similar for Volkon, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS The thought of Isaac on the back of a Golem absolutely terrifies me!

    ReplyDelete