Thursday 16 March 2017

Ultimate reward


Sitting behind his huge and ornate desk, Duke Nultze looks stunned.

He’d ushered all his advisors and staff out of the room as soon as the adventurers started talking. Only the intimidating Count Vunker remains. His mouth a thin line of disdain.

Upon reading the letter and opening the tiny casket with the key contained within the letter’s envelope, Duke Nultze listens intently, stopping you whenever you gloss over a conversation or miss out a detail.

“My God! I never imagined you’d be so successful! Queen Therissa’s demands are outrageous but I’m sure we can reach an understanding.”

Bastien is the first one to remind the Duke about his promise of payment.

“Not only did we deliver the crown and reopen negotiations but we permanently incapacitated King Zorris and eliminated King Gov-El.”

Duke Nultze sucks on his teeth.

“I agreed to reward each of you with a thousand golden coins for delivering the ‘present’ and additional two thousand golden coins for the ‘disposal’  of their evil despot… Fine but don’t imagine I’ll pay for the extra, incidental ‘disposal’.

With a gesture, the Duke sends the Count to order the reward brought up.

“I’m impressed with you three. Very impressed. I may have more work for men of your talents.”

With a dark smile, the Duke waves you away.

In the castle gatehouse, you are greeted by a grim faced Count Vunker and a platoon of his loyal soldiers.

On the ground behind them sit two small, 100lb, wooden, iron bound chests.

The Half-elf Nitendea unconsciously licks his smiling lips as his two human companions grunt as they heft the obviously heavy chests onto their burly shoulders.

Treasure:

Two small chests containing:

4,500gp each (9,000gp!)

That’s 3,000gp each!

6 comments:

  1. Wowzee!
    Almost enough to get a couple of cure-serious-wounds potions and some decent armour!
    (See - you have shaken our confidence so much all I can think about is how to survive our next warm-up encounter!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also going to say, spend-it or expect to lose it!
    Or go to a jewellers, buy a couple of good gems and "hide" them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bugger that. I nearly died twice. I'm retiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surely, as a priest of luck and travelling, you always rate your chances and can't settle down anyway?
    ;P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I disturbed myself when I instantly knew what and where Assif meant by 'buy a couple of good gems and hide them'.
    :S

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Or go to a jewellers, buy a couple of good gems, then go to the apothecary, buy some lube and then ... ahem ... hide them"

    ReplyDelete