Saturday 10 March 2018

Not the end, merely the end of the beginning

I knelt at the foot of the pedestal which was now topped once again with Fahrlanghn's boots. 

With the relics back in their rightful place, the priory's defences had been greatly bolstered. The walls were now manned full-time, a new guard tower erected at the main gate, and a set of stern and intimidating paladins now stood watch over the boots around the clock. The significance of their positioning was not lost on me. Four paladins, each one posted at the major points of the compass: North, south, east, and west. Fahrlanghn himself would be proud.  

Despite their relaxed demeanour, I knew them to be alert, ever-watchful, and powerful warriors. The latter I could certainly vouch for... I'd help select those who were blessed with the honour of guarding the relics over the last few days, and I still had the bruises to prove it.

Standing again, a grim smile set across my face. The boots may be home and safe from harm, but Fahrlanghn teaches that life is a never-ending journey and I had arrived at the truth that my own was really just beginning. I'd resolved to head out into the world again as soon as possible. My mission to reclaim the boots from nefarious hands had been a success, but I knew we had only postponed, and not thwarted, whatever plans the evil spider creature was plotting. 

As I crossed the courtyard the images that had been interrupting my sleep flashed before my eyes once more: Akbar, in his dark plate armour. Held captive in a trap of his own making, laughing as he burned to death. Immolated by own hand. More disturbing than the image itself was my own response to it. I had committed an act of pure evil, but felt no guilt. I knew that Akbar had deserved to die and did not regret my part in his demise. But it did make me realise that there are grey shades to the black and white, and made me wonder what else I could be capable of.

I shook off those thoughts as I entered the inn. I would would set out on my new mission, but first there was a duty I had been dreading. As the light from the open door lit the room I was pleasantly surprised, and incredibly relieved, to see that everyone I had invited had gathered. As I walked to the head of the table, a hush settled over the companions I had come to know as friends and they allowed me to say my piece...

"Friends, I thank you for coming. In truth I did not know if you would after the stunt I pulled at Akbar's trap. My reasons for bringing us here are obvious, so I shan't dwell on them. Neither shall I apologise for my actions and you have all been greatly rewarded."

As I expected, such a bold statement was met with silence, frowns, and grimaces.

"However, I do need to apologise for making the decision without agreeing it between us first. And I do acknowledge that my actions have made us unpopular with the underground in Nompariel. I realise I acted uncharacteristically rashly, without rational thought, and I apologise also for this."

"Fahrlanghn's boots are safe once more, but we know many other sects have had relics stolen, and we know that the forces behind this are still at large. It is my intention to chase this evil down and defeat it once and for all. But, first, I will travel to Nompariel to explain my actions to the thieves guild and resolve you of any blame. I can only hope that this act will go some way to make up for my recent actions."

"I will be leaving from the main gate at dawn, three days hence. I will understand if you feel that you cannot or will not join me, but I would dearly love for our party to be united once more in what so far has proven to be one of the most exciting, and... ", said with a wink towards Nitendae, "... lucrative, times of my life."

"For now, farewell, and I hope you can forgive me."

With that I turned and left the inn, heart heavy with uncertainty. I had not looked forward to that moment, but with a sigh of relief I let the door swing shut behind me. I couldn't be entirely sure but as I left I thought I heard Marlon's voice... 

"Yeah, alright, 'e might've run off wivvout tellin' us nuffin', but no-one died and 'e's always been nice to me... givin' me 'is old arma an' stuff. I say we go wiv 'im."

8 comments:

  1. What a speech! I'm following my friend!
    Scott that was a perfect piece of writing. I love Marlon's voice ay the end. I was gripped by the story. And I feel I understand Bastian better now. But most of all i love Marlon's voice at the end.

    PS I f**king hate typing on f**king phone's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirk was chasing me for so long, I figured I better do it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In contrast to your accomplished prose, my comment was gibberish at best. My only excuse is that I was a little pissed. :S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blimey! No wonder it took you so long to write it.
    Really nice piece of writing that clearly summarised the conclusion of the last adventure.
    I forget though, was Akbarr laughing as he burned to death or was that Bastien?!
    Also, still no mention of Bastien's boon!
    ;P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Akbar was laughing at his own death. Boon post is in draft, don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, but will Akbarr be he who laughs last?
    :S

    ReplyDelete
  7. great piece.
    Always happy with it IRL, now have the way to deal in character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. IRL... In Real Life?
    IFL... In Fantasy Life!
    As Bastien kinda-sorta apologised/explained, You did gain a great deal more than you would have from from the Nompariel Thieves guild.
    No need for a midnight stabbing!
    ;P

    ReplyDelete