Saturday 17 March 2018

Bastien's Boon

I was making good on my preparations to leave when he finally caught up with me. The man I'd been trying to avoid for what felt like an eternity. I'd felt his eyes boring into me during services, I'd dodged him when walking the grounds, and I'd even skipped meals when I knew he would be in observance.

But now there was no mistake. I was cornered in the storage barn, crouched over a large chest, with my back to the door, when the unmistakable shadow cast by the late afternoon sun creeping through the barn doors stretched across the floor in front of me.

Stifling a sigh I stood and faced him, and with quiet reverence acknowledged that I had lost.

"Abbot Elphick... It is good to see you."

He replied with a sly, but kindly knowing smile. "Bastien, if I didn't know better I would think you were trying to avoid me."

I stammered a poor excuse. "I, um, no, Abbott. I was just, erm, I've been busy doing... things... and getting ready to... go somewhere to chase after the, uh, bad, uh people..."

He was not fooled, but he was amused by my efforts. "Bastien, Bastien... Be still, my son. I know you well enough to understand. Since returning Fahrlanghn's boots you've been hailed as a hero - quite rightly - but I know that fame sits awkwardly with someone as calm and modest as you. I also understand that this is why you have not come to me for your boon."

I met the older man's steady gaze "Abbot, I am glad that everyone else has received their boon. They deserve it, as they had no better reason to help me. But I did not return the boots for a reward. I did it for my God, and their safe return is reward enough for me."

Abbot Elphick smiled broadly as he replied "I suspected you would feel this way Bastien, but you have many trials ahead of you... Which is why I have chosen a boon for you." And with that he raised a closed fist to my head more quickly than I would have thought possible for a man of his advanced ears.

When the abbot opened his hand, a pale green prism began to circle my brow and he remarked "This, Bastien, is an ioun stone. Whilst small, it is immensely powerful. It will aid and protect you on you journey. It is amongst the most valuable of relics and I can think of no-one more deserving than you to receive it." His voice changed to take on a melancholic tone. "Nor, I fear, no-one in greater need for such a treasure if my suspicions of what awaits you come to pass."

With that he clenched my shoulders strongly with both hands, looked me in the eyes, nodded, and turned to leave.

He left me staring, cross-eyed in wonder, trying to focus on the crystal as it revolved around my head like the earth orbiting the sun.

7 comments:

  1. Bastien receives a pale green prismatic ioun stone giving him a +1 competence bonus on attack rolls, saves, skill checks, and ability checks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. again nice piece of story :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now the abbott has a name...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abbott Elphick?
    Took me a while but it made me smile when I finally got it.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made myself laugh so much when I came up with it. Claire just thought I was mad, and didn't get it even when I explained.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boon_(TV_series)

    I've no idea why my brain holds weird pointless information like this, but can't remember friends and family birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh.....

    Yeah, that is funny!

    ReplyDelete